Friday 2 December 2016

Sunlight and Shadow, Frost and Fire ...


Saturday
A nice, calm morning - no wind, not too cold, no sun but still bright.  Checked on C next door to see if she was OK and she said she would like to go for a walk with me.  I took her on one of my secret walks that I have found whilst exploring - climbing over gates, jumping across streams and stumbling over filthy, muddy, boggy areas where livestock had been - I think she enjoyed it, although our footwear was pretty yukky by the end of the walk.


Sunday
After breakfast I went 'hedgerow walking'.  I visited the hundred acre field (my name for it, no idea if it is a hundred acres or not, but it is a pretty big field).  I walked along the whole hedgerow looking for nothing in particular - berries, birds nests, a woodpecker darting from tree to tree - a miniature forest of ash saplings, bramble patches.  Although it wasn't particularly cold I began to feel chilled. I had stayed out too long.  I carried on and completed the field -  looking back over where I had walked - the huge field before me, and I felt like a king of all I surveyed.



Monday
Bright and crisp with a blue, blue sky - not a cloud in sight.
Went for a walk round the village after lunch, leaving David washing his car and mowing the lawn, hopefully for the last time this year (the lawn, not the car). 
I took photos of the sun on the sheep in the back fields and the trees with the sun striking them looked as if they were on fire.
Unfortunately my battery ran out just as I was taking pictures of shadows and texture for my explorations exercise - so I walked back across the fields and made my way home.






Tuesday
Heavy frost overnight.  Later, clear sky, bright sunshine with a definite nip in the air. I stopped by the canal on the way to town for food shopping -  loved the reflections in the frozen water. 
After lunch I walked down the road towards Saddington.  The sun was still shining - everywhere looked beautiful. It was warm too - the low winter sun was at a level where it shone directly into your eyes and cast long, long shadows.
I kept walking for the sheer enjoyment of it.




Wednesday
Another cold and frosty morning.  Everything is white and glistening in the sunlight.  It was so cold it almost hurt to breathe.


Thursday
Woke up with a sore throat.  Didn't feel like going for a walk but I had to post a birthday card to my Aunt Nell, my last remaining Aunt, in her 90's now and still going strong. I walked to the post box, then cut through The Nook, which is a small enclave of cottages behind the church; down the alley, through the kissing gate and into the field called The Maltings where the two horses were eating their afternoon feed of hay and completely ignored me.  Through another kissing gate and out into Dag Lane and then home.
A flock of starlings settled on the tree at the end of the lane, chattering away and preening.  Although I felt rough when I set out, the walk in the chilled air made me feel a little better.


Friday
A dull, bleak morning.  Still feeling under the weather with this cold.  David is coming down with it too.  Consequently not a lot has got done in terms of anything useful.  A book I had ordered 'Notes from the Sofa by Raymond Briggs arrived which cheered me up a little, it is a compilation of reflections on life and what it is to get older - very funny.
Only walked down the lane to the cattle grid (why we still call it the cattle grid I have no idea, as it was removed several years ago once they fenced the fields) - old habits die hard.
On the way back I stopped for a chat with Mr. Angry, so named because of an incident when our sheep got into his garden - I don't think anyone remembers his real name any more - so Mr. Angry it is.  We spoke about the weather, as you do if you're British, saying how mild it was today - he blamed it on Brexit, smiled and walked on.
Returning home I sat and read my new book and watched the afternoon film, 'Vertigo', at the same time.  Finished with a spoonful of Buttercup Cough Syrup to ease my throat and tight chest.


And just for good measure I include another picture of a horse and a bunch of chrysanthemums, because I seem to include them in all my blog posts at the moment.




Elaine

47 comments:

  1. is buttercup a brand or a herbal remedy?
    If actual flowers sounds an encouraging way to clear a cough!
    Reminds me of my mother's sliced onion and a lttle brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brand Diana - I think buttercups are dangerous. As a cough mixture it works and is quite tasty.

      Delete
  2. It has been such a lovely week to be out and about in the fresh air. Yes, a little on the cold side some days but the skies have been lovely so to the sunshine.

    Your photographs are good to look at, and I do like those chrysanthemums.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. The weather has been good to us, I don't mind the cold, it is the grey, dreary, damp weather I don't like. chrysanthemum are my favourite Autumn flower, they come in such beautiful colours.

      Delete
  3. I do love looking at your photos Elaine. Hope you are getting over that cold now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - I am feeling a lot better today.

      Delete
  4. Great way to end a blog with a horse and pretty flowers. I always enjoy looking at your wonderful photos walking along with you, and enjoying your narrative while we walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy our walks together. I can never resist the horse photographs, and the flowers are my favourites.

      Delete
  5. This is so lovely. It reads like a Lady's Country Diary :-) How lucky you are to live amongst such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Sarah such a compliment. Yes I do appreciate living where I do.

      Delete
  6. Some frost here yesterday morning, but yours looks quite severe. Beautiful photos again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the frosts have been quite heavy, but it has returned to being mild again - I prefer the cold, crisp weather. I think the book would be right up your street Cro.

      Delete
  7. Morning Elaine,

    It has been bitterly cold here. Angus left a great deal of water behind, then the cold weather arrived and everything froze. We have had some very harsh frosts.

    I love the hedgerow walk........it is a fascinating occupation. I have been amazed as to what is found beneath a hedge.
    My most favourite find was a very large clump of wild white violets.
    I visit the area each spring to make sure they are still there.

    A lovely post........including Mr Angry :)

    Have a good weekend and hope you are feeling better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl
      I love checking out the hedgerows too - I know where the wild snowdrops grow and where the Lords and Ladies will pop up - being intimate with your close surroundings means that doing the same walk over and over again is never boring.

      Glad you enjoyed the post. I am feeling a little better today thank you. Won't be long before I am back to normal - whatever that is :)

      Delete
  8. You have created some very atmospheric images. Hope your throat is better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A most enjoyable post and lovely pictures. I hope that you're feeling better. Happy reading. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. I hate getting a cold and not feeling 100% - hopefully I'll soon be back to rights.

      Delete
  10. What beautiful photos Elaine. It is a joy to read your blog.
    Hope your home is warm & cosy now after the unfortunate flood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Su,much appreciated. The flood seems such a while ago now, we are thankfully all squared up, dry and back to normal - it was quite an ordeal, something I wouldn't want to go through again :)

      Delete
  11. Ha, thanks to you, Elaine - and Mr. Briggs - I know now that I own a part of your lovely red London buses! Greetings from Britta (Kraut)
    PS: The photos are wonderful as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: And now I remembered where I knew the author's name from: he has written children books, 'The Snowman', 'Jim and the Beanstalk' etc (I believe my son is the child with vastest knowledge and love for the biggest amount of English children books :-)
      Ah - have you read Virginia Ironside's excellent Marie Sharp books? When I need a laugh, I reread them, one by one.
      PPS: Amazon sends me Mr. Briggs on Tuesday.

      Delete
    2. I have just read another of his books called Ethel and Ernest - they will be showing the film of it over Christmas this year. No I haven't read Virginia Ironside's books - I will check them out - thank you.

      Delete
  12. All beautiful Elaine. I love going on your walks with you. Hoping you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - yes, slowly but surely - I hate being ill!

      Delete
  13. beautiful countryside shots. hope your cold will be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely atmospheric photos! We always used to have Buttercup Syrup when I was a child, that or butter, honey and vinegar mixed on a saucer and warmed by the fire. Hope you feel well again soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Rosie. Oh I remember that my mum did that too, I had forgotten all about it. I am beginning to feel a little better thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry to hear about your cold - get well soon! These sunny, frosty mornings are made for walking; invigorating and beautiful. I love the sound of your hedgerow walk; I love to look at them too and discover where the birds have nested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - it's just a blooming nuisance to have a cold and feel under the weather - but I guess I'll survive :). I love to be out and about at this time of year, walking the lanes, investigating the hedgerows - just observing what is going on around me - I am sure you feel the same.

      Delete
  17. wishing you speedy recovery from cold .
    you live in a very lovely part of lands .
    thank you for sharing your beautiful walks .liked the shadow in photo .
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely walk with you (and what long legs you have!). Hope you are better by now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed if Freda - if only my legs were that long (they don't call me 'stumpy' for nothing :) I seem to be sleeping a lot - it seems to have knocked me for six, but I'm on the mend thank you.

      Delete
  19. Dear Elaine so enjoyed my walk with you. The pic if frost made me shiver. We have had some of the same here as well. Amazing how are shadow forms grow so tall when the days grow shorter. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debbie
      Thanks for visiting. It has been very cold here but it is due to warm up (most unseasonal). It seems to take ages to get light in the morning and yes the shadows do seem to lengthen, I think it is because the sun is low in the sky - but any sun is welcome :)

      Delete
  20. Beyond beautiful pictures, Elaine. What an amazing time you spend outdoors.

    Hope you are well on your way to feeling better...

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane - it is surely a joy to live here, I never fail to appreciate my surroundings.

      Delete
  21. I hope that you have shaken off the cold now. I haven't heard of Buttercup Syrup for years! You take such wonderful photos of this beautiful part of the country. I did laugh when you said that the cattle grid had been taken away years ago. It's how it is here too. Nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - it is proving hard to shake off but aren't they all. Buttercup syrup is the only medicine I enjoy taking the rest taste foul :). It's funny how we call things certain names when they no longer relate, but everyone knows what you mean when you say, went down to the cattle grid. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  22. I too hope you will feel much better soon.
    The photos of this post are beautiful and calming - even though it really looks cold in them! (We have about 15 inches of snow now, so no lawn mowing for us anymore.)
    Reading your text, enjoying the humour and trying to spot British English expressions, I suddenly felt very privileged to be able to visit fellow bloggers and read their "diaries".
    Take care!
    PS I can so relate to buying more wrapping paper than actually needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara - goodness, that is a lot of snow - here, some days are bright but today it is very foggy, not so pleasant :(. But we expect this sort of weather in December, snow is much prettier. I am glad you enjoyed the post and the writings in my 'diary'. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  23. Crisp air does wonders for the throat, hoping you're feeling better now. What lovely walks, and photos, that is one mighty fine horse. I loved the frosted, snowy scenes, I do wish a little snow would fall here. You have me smiling re Mr Angry, I have names like that for a few of my neighbors.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you're back, hope you enjoyed the trip. Actually Mr. Angry is a perfectly nice bloke unfortunately the name has stuck :) I do enjoy winter walking it clears the head and puts roses in your cheeks. And the best thing, returning to a nice warm home. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  24. Sunlight and Shadow, Frost and Fire ... Saturday. A nice, calm morning - no wind, not too cold, no sun but still bright. Checked on C next door to ...
    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing.Thank for your very good article...!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete